Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Now I told you about the frustrating experience of riding the alpine slide for the first time. Now I want to tell you about yesterdays experience.

My whole family was at Park City yesterday to ride the alpine slide. My older brother, now married, was there and we reminisced of our first time down the slide when the old lady made us go super slow the whole way down. We were determined to now make the same mistake again this time. Now the slide costs $11 instead of only $5, so obviously we weren't going to waste it.

We got on the lift and headed up just like we did years ago. We grabbed our sleds and walked off to get in the line to go down. We looked at everyone in line and tried to pick the one with the faster people in them. I got in line behind a middle aged man who seemed like the type of guy who would be a fast rider. We sat down in our sleds and inched our way to the starting gate. Suddenly I noticed that he had a little toddler on his lap. He all of a sudden became a potential slow guy. I couldn't believe it. I thought, "Its not that bad. Ill just wait for a few minutes at the top and give him plenty of time to get to the bottom."

So I sat there and waited for about four or five minutes. Finally I decided to go, assuming the guy in front of me had enough time to get down the hill. I pushed forward on that lever to make me go as fast as I could. I zoomed down the slide not holding back at all. I had even decided before hand that I would go as fast as I could even if I went so fast that I fell off the track and go hurt. I flew off the drop off and caught a little air. I was having a blast.

Then, about three fourths of the way down, I caught up to the guy in front of me, and sure enough, he was going slower than molasses on a witches lip on a cold night. I couldn't believe it. Both times I try to go down this stupid slide, someone has to be slow and ruin it for me. I just stopped and waited for him to get down the hill. I was going to wait so I could enjoy the end of my ride.

I only waited a few seconds when I could hear my brother coming down behind me. I didn't want to make him wait so I took off again. In no time I was caught up with Mr. Slowman and was now sandwiched in between him and my brother. There was no going fast, and there was no waiting so I could go fast. I had to just take it.

So once again I was doomed to endure a partially slow alpine slide ride and will have to continue to imagine what it must be like to ride fast down the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home